Art Exploration Series 1.2
Five online Marvegos classes on the Zoom platform include live interaction with an instructor for a unique personalized experience! In this part of the first series, students will use chalk pastels, ink, colored pencils and paper to create three artworks that are original and truly their own. All Series 1 online classes refer to the same ‘special words’ to help students build their understanding of the fine art terms.
Weekly (one day per week), daily (week-long) and daily camp (3hr/day week-long) options are available. The daily schedule for three hour camp programs include two full hours of art making and an hour of other activities to create a fun virtual camp experience.
Watch this Parent Guide video which includes instructions on how to set up an art space at home and how you can achieve a more independent and empowering experience for your child.
Find the list of supply needs by day below. Plan to spend about 15 minutes preparing the supplies before each class.
Quality art materials of good value have been specially selected for these classes because we know better supplies and tools improve the outcome of art making. Limited palettes of specific colors teach color mixing and are preferred over a palette with many colors. Our colored pencil selection provides the unique practice of layering and pressure control to blend and is preferred over softer colored pencils that mimic the practice of using soft chalk pastels to blend.
Listed below are the required supplies plus a number of choices and brands from the Marvegos Store, Blick and Amazon. You may purchase the recommended art supplies and kits from the Marvegos Store and sign up for Curbside Pickup to obtain the supplies before the first class. If you prefer to purchase supplies from a different store, please allow up to 3 weeks to acquire the needed art materials. If you purchased these supplies before or have these supplies at home, no need to purchase again.
Required Art Supplies
- Mirror attachment for tablets to view students’ artwork is recommended
- Assorted Art Papers (approximately 13″x19″ in size) : Marvegos Store (our assorted art papers kit includes enough papers for 15 projects)
- Board for stretching paper : Marvegos Store : Blick
- Masking tape for stretching paper : Marvegos Store : Blick : Amazon
- Three pencils : Marvegos Store
- Colored pencils : Target : Amazon
- Chalk pastels and black india ink : Marvegos Store
- Soft paint brushes (one flat wash brush about 1″ wide and one small round brush) : Marvegos Store : Ikea : Amazon
- Cup for water to wash brushes : Marvegos Store
- Condiment cup to hold ink : Marvegos Store
- Supplies from your home
- Blow/hair dryer
- Paper towels
- Other optional supplies available for purchase
Supplies List By Day
Prepare for each day of class by having the following supplies ready beforehand.
Day 1 Iconic Buildings Part 1
- Bristol vellum drawing paper (not smooth, stretched to board on all four sides)
- One chalk pastel
- India ink (a small amount in a condiment cup)
- India ink tools (stick or skewers, fork, surprise brush)
Day 2 Iconic Buildings Part 2
- Continuing on same paper as Iconic Buildings Part 1
- Chalk pastels (including neutrals like white, gray, and black)
- Colored pencils
Day 3 Dragonfly
- Smooth bristol drawing paper (stretched to board)
- Graphite pencil
- Chalk pastels
- Colored pencils
- Paper towel
Day 4 Adventure Map Part 1
- Tinted pastel paper (stretched t0 a board)
- Black charcoal pencil
- Chalk pastels (including white)
Day 5 Adventure Map Part 2
- Continuing on same paper as Adventure Map Part 1
- Black and white charcoal pencils
- Ebony pencil